Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Nano Day 29 and I'm a winner



So here it is, the winner icon. 50,088 words in 29 days. I must be getting better at this because I finished with a day to spare. And not only did I produce the required words, I wrapped up the story arc of Diary of the Future, so I don't need to add any story. The first draft is complete! Woohoo!


Word wars certainly helped me focus on the word count (thanks Di), and I plotted out bits of story while driving to work. And by attempting to write every day, I managed to keep the story in my subconscious at all times.


But today was agonising, knowing that I was so close to the finish line (46607 as of last night), all I wanted to do today was finish the story. Not work. I wrote over 1400 words during teabreaks, lunchtime, and while waiting for my lift home. Came home and typed up the long-hand and then started word wars to finish, and it actually came out slow. Perhaps I didn't want to let go of the story after all. But I had to drive the story forward to the final three lines, which I wrote yesterday.


I stare at the flames as the diary burns, the leather cracking under the intense heat. The future was an unknown quantity. And that’s the way I like it.


And now playing on my computer is the song Winners by Moving Pictures.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! Way to go, Diane! I can't wait to read this book ... I love the concept and have enjoyed reading about your writing process.

Good luck with the edits (that's the part bogging me down now).

And congratulations!

Andrea Allison said...

Congrats on finishing Nano!