Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Holiday - NOT!

I have this week off work. It's supposed to be a holiday. And I had planned to spend the week editing my novel. As they say, all good plans...

Saturday we spent the day running around town, trying to get the final cut for the doco that my partner is releasing next Saturday.

Sunday I managed a day of general relaxation and watched the first disc of the Twin Peaks DVD set. Just love Kyle MacLachlan.

Yesterday, I drove two hours to do my dad's accounts, a frustrating half hour or so trying to get through to the tax office, and two hours drive back. By 11pm last night, I was stuffed, and not prepared to play games with NBN Television, who for some crazy reason have decided to move the screening of Six Feet Under from 10.30 at night to 12.30 in the morning. As if 10. 30 is such a ratings giant anyway! Guess I'll have to wait for the DVD's of that one.

Today, we went to see a diabetes educator, followed by a dietitian - at least I know I'm on the right track food wise.

Tomorrow, we drive another hour so that my partner can sit a TAFE exam. Not sure how I will amuse myself while he's doing the exam but I'm sure I'll find something.

On Friday, we have yet another doctor's appointment, but at least it's an early one, so then we'll come back home and finish off the work for the DVD release on Saturday.

Saturday is the big launch.

And then hopefully, Sunday and Monday, we will have some time at home - enjoying our garden, and sunshine. We'll see!

So that's my holiday -- as you can tell, I'm getting plenty of R&R before I go back to work on Tuesday.

Here's the BEAUTIFUL trophy I won! I remember when Anne first showed us the trophy (the day I took this picture) and we were all coveting it. I never imagined that I would be the one taking it home! Cool!

Although I must say, I'm glad we don't have to write with quills anymore. Even typewriters - what tedium to have to type the whole manuscript again when you edit!

Speaking of editing, I have to admit that I've been a naughty girl. All I've done so far is coloured in my manuscript - orange or yellow for dialogue (depending on which highlighter was working at the time), green for description or action, and pink for interior monologue. It sure looks purty! But I can also see pages of almost one colour, which immediately indicates that it needs work.

I want a good solid block of time to sit down and read the whole thing from start to finish and do a good structural edit before I get into the nitty gritty, but that time is eluding me, and the internet has sucked me once again - oh well, at least I now have cute avatars of my main characters - Chloe and Luke, and their respective cats, Miss Lizzy and Snowball.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That trophy sure looks sweet, though I'm with you, I don't fancy writing with quills.

That editing technique seems interesting. I've heard it referred to a few times, so I might have to give it a go.

xxxx said...

Every weekend I'm like, "I'm TOTALLY going to edit and revise my novel" and, of course, it never happens. Or happens in bits. It's so hard!