Wednesday, June 28, 2006

I really needed a laugh today. 9 hour day at work, and I think I did more talking than the customers, so at the end of it, I thought I'd lose my voice. And the 9 hours crawled...seemed more like 18 hours.

So tonight, I decided to visit Miss Snark, and found her post on queries. Oh boy, I laughed! And for more amusement, I might pull out my manuscripts and read pages 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55 and 89. In that order.

We had a collage poetry workshop on Saturday at my writers' group meeting. I didn't feel very inspired. I don't think I can do the group thing now when it comes to creating collage poems. I like to let the words and phrases sit together, and form interesting combinations - and for me, that has become a solitude activity, and one that my subconscious continues to work on while my thoughts are preoccupied with reality.

Our homework for the meeting was to write a 50 word story. I wrote a story about reality TV on Sunday, and the first draft was 86 words. I had to cut more than a third of the story. ON Monday, I took it with me to work and slashed and rewrote, and slashed some more, until eventually I have a 50 word story. I may try some more between now and the next meeting - it is certainly good editing practice.

No comments: