Monday, June 30, 2008

50ks challenge comes to an end

I started June with a commitment to write 50ks in 30 days.


I hit 50ks on the 23rd June, so I took a couple days at a slower rate, and then pushed through to see exactly how much I could write in 30 days.


My grand total as of 10 minutes ago is 65,040 words. Woohoo! The story is not yet finished, although I'm sure there are going to be lots of words that will be left on the cutting room floor.



It's been exhilirating, exhausting and revealing. Literary revenge has been very satisfying and the writing has been cathartic. Seriously who needs to pay for therapy when you can write? There were times that I dredged my memory banks, and there were other times when I gave my imagination free reign.


But most of all, I was bouyed and motivated by the wonderful support of my fellow 50k challengers. What a great bunch of writers!


And no matter what word count we each achieved, we are all winners!


Tomorrow is a new day, a new financial year (three cheers for the tax return) and a new month!


Tomorrow is the beginning of an editing challenge, a commitment to finish Diary of the Future and submit it, and the annual pilgrimage to Byron Bay Writers Festival.


But first tonight, I need sleep.

1 comment:

Eleni Konstantine said...

Yay Dianne - fantastic job on the word count. I know what you mean about the support. It has been a wonderful month because of it.

E :)