Thursday, April 10, 2008

Finished 'I'm with the Band!'

Whoo hoo! The first draft of 'I'm with the Band' is complete! I finished writing it on Monday (the day before I was due back at work) with a mammoth writing effort of 4,314 words for the day.

This is the final word count:
Zokutou word meter
110,173 / 110,173
(100.0%)
So my estimate that I'd be finished at 103,000 words was not quite right - the story kept expanding.


And this photo above indicates how I felt at the end of the writing marathon. Although the cyber dancing girls did come out to celebrate and did high kicks, and splits, and somersaults. Thanks Sandie and Rachel.


I'm still amazed that these two photos and the acoustic Moving Pictures tour in 2005 inspired a whole novel. The imagination is a wonderful thing!






The feeling I wanted to capture for the story was about a woman feeling 17 again, being transported back to her teenage years by the reunion of her favourite band. I even managed to slip in a cameo for the author when the band plays a gig in Coffs Harbour.


So this manuscript will be set aside for awhile as I complete my 100 word a day challenge with Beyond Happily Ever After.

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
53,592 / 60,000
(89.3%)


When I've finished Beyond Happily Ever After, I will have completed three first drafts in less than 3 years. So somehow, somewhere, sometime I need to fit in the rewriting, editing, reworking that is required to polish these drafts to submission standard.



And submit, submit, submit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo...
Still dancin' for ya.
Yes you do need to do the edit/polish. Soon!

Sussan Marz said...

Fantastic Diana! Amazing photos too. Never know when inspiration will hit, but that is amazing!

Anonymous said...

You have some great stories ! I love the picture showing the same pose and time difference I can see how it could inspire a story.

I thought I'd invite you post your blog at Her Blog Directory.
http://www.herblogdirectory.com

Rachael Blair said...

Hey congrats Diane... coming in late here but nothing more exciting than finishing a first draft!

WOHOO!!!