Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Blogoff Post: Shenanigans


This is a post for the Blogoff with this week's topic Shenanigans. Each week we post on a one-word topic and then rank each other's posts. So far, I have avoided the cull. But how long can it last?



Shenanigans? Let me think back. Mmm, yes, I remember shenanigans and it looks like I have a photographic proof that I used to get up to shenanigans.


with faces whited out to protect the innocent.
yes, I used to be a party girl. Erotica parties above, white trash parties below.


Rubik's Cube parties where everyone came dressed in six different colours and had to swap clothes until they were wearing the one colour.


I was a party girl.


Then there was the time in Adelaide when we placed an ad in the paper, hired a pub and threw our own singles party. Or when I got up in a room of 100 people and announced I was going to write a book called Getting Laid in Adelaide, and I needed to research it.

There was plenty of shenanigans when I was a pizza delivery driver. Friday and Saturday nights were our peak nights and going to work was like going to a party. We'd send the new drivers out to a very special address without warning them first that the walls were red velvet-lined, and the menu had more sexual positions than we had pizza toppings. They would come back bug-eyed from their first pizza delivery to the brothel. And then just for fun, we would give them a jalapeno to taste.


We'd stuff pizza dough in people's exhaust pipes and for the first anniversary of the store we ordered a special delivery for the two male bosses: a stripper!


Shenangigans indeed! I have 25,000 words of a novel already based on those wild pizza days. Let's just say that job gave me my education in sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll.


So when did the shenanigans stop and reality set in?


Somewhere along the line, I settled down. I stopped partying. I became committed (or maybe should have been committed). I started dealing with bills on a scarily regular basis. I moved away from my home, away from my family and away from my friends. Now when I go to a party, it's usually a sedate, mild affair with a bit of booze, rarely any drugs, and lots of philisophical conversation. Rarely any shenanigans.


I remember my father's 40th birthday party like it was yesterday. His beetroot-faced embarrassment at the strip-o-gram. And then I remember that I'm turning 40 this year. I find it hard to believe. But then again, maybe not so.


I wonder if there'll be a stripper?


Maybe it's time for some shenanigans.


8 comments:

TaraMetBlog said...

great photos, definitely full of shenanigans. White Trash party? love it, thanks for the idea!

Courtney said...

I love the pictures- and I love the idea of the Rubik's Cube party! Fun!

Here's to hoping that you're 40th is full of shenanigans. :)

QueenieCarly said...

It's always time for shenanigans! And it sounds like that pizza delivery job was a hoot!

I loved all your party ideas. Thanks for sharing!

Evey said...

Pizza in an exhaust pipe? Now that sounds like something I must try. hehe!

Anonymous said...

Rubik's Cube Party?!! That is a hilarious idea! How fun to be a party girl...(sigh)

Anonymous said...

Oh God I was so young and thin then!!!!!!
My navel ring is sinking in the quagmire of my years of overindulgence!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you know how to party. I feel so boring right now. But my favorite part? Getting Laid in Adelaide. Absolutely priceless.

Diane said...

Tara, I think it was actually a 'Bad Taste' party but now i think of it as a white trash party. Plus it was new year's day and we drove around Adelaide in a convertible looking like that! Great fun.

Hey clapmeister, good to see you dropping by. I miss our parties. And yes we were all young and thin back then! it's hard to cut back on the overindulgence when it used to be okay, and we didn't put on weight.

Durante Vita - Well, I did the research for Getting Laid in Adelaide but I think if I wrote the truth I'll probably get sued. Shame because the ex-fiance of one guy stormed into his house, took his mattress and declared' you're not f***ing on my mattress' when she found out he and I were doing the deed. Guess I'll just have to make it all fiction.

Bit afraid of getting sued over the pizza chronicles too. I've changed the name of the pizza company but still...I think that's why I've stalled at 25,000 words.