Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Nanowrimo again

It's that time of the year again. Time for sign-ups to the Nanowrimo challenge. Write 50,000 words in the month of November.

What? Are you out of your mind? I can hear you thinking it now. Especially if you haven't heard of Nanowrimo before.

But I'm throwing down the gauntlet! If you've always thought you could be a writer, here's your chance to see what amazing things lie in your subconscious. Plot and plan before November 1st hits, or just wait till the beginning of the month, trust your muse and dive right in.

It's exhilirating, stressful and fantastic. Some of what you write is absolute drivel but some of it is truly wonderful, and comes from a place you barely knew existed.

Year 1, I wrote 25,000 words. Year 2 - 38,000. Year 3 - more than 50,000. Year 4 - made it to the finish line with a complete first draft.

Let your muse free. She's bored. She needs Nanowrimo!

Need some more encouragement? Read No Plot, No Problem by Nanowrimo founder Chris Baty.

Okay, so I'm still looking for a plot. And it would be lovely if I could scan old notebooks and hard drives, and come up with something as offbeat as Jenny Crusie's discovery. I'll dip in but I can't promise anything. Although last year's manuscript Diary of the Future was based on an idea I had around 7 years ago. And I'll hang out in the Plot Doctoring forum on the Nanowrimo website. I may just find the catalyst to my whole unwritten novel in the Adopt a Plot, Adopt an Opening Line or The Dares thread.

So are you in it? Or not? Leave me a comment!

5 comments:

EelKat said...

Hey! glad to see other NaNoers!

I'm creating a blogroll for NaNoBloggers (NaNoers who talk about NaNo on their blogs).

I've choosen your blog to be included in this. You can find the blogroll at: http://eknano.blogspot.com

Good Luck with NaNoWriMo!

~~EK

Vega Stone said...

Love your blog! Wow, this is my first year at NaNoWriMo. I only have to read your blog for encouragement.

Sandie Hudson said...

Hi Diane
Love your blog spot. This is my first year at NaNoWriMo, I'm looking so forward to it, have my novel theme, plot etc. sorted started on character profiles today. Catch up again soon. Added you my blog fav's.
regards
Sandie

Rachel.C said...

Diane you're on. Well on my blog anyway. Can't wait to be de-flowered and looking forward to sharing it with you. As an old hand I'm sure you'll have plenty of advise for us virgins.
Rachel.C

Travel-PB said...

50 thousand words! That's a lot. I admire you guys for even trying.

I think I don't have nearly enough time for this at the moment. Maybe sometime in the (distant) future.